Clinical Psychologist’s fees may be claimed through Medicare provided you have a doctor’s referral. The fees are fully covered by Worker’s Compensation insurers and are partly covered under ancillary schemes with private health funds.
Sessions always include discussion, often include testing, and sometimes include skills-training.
Patients will often be asked to complete assignments between sessions.
TYPICAL PROBLEMS TREATED
Chris’ expertise is in dealing with the following issues:
- Post trauma stress
- Relationship difficulties
- Anxiety and phobias
- Divorce or life transitions
- Sexual trauma
- Poor self esteem
- Marital conflict
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Anger management
- Personality disorders
Chris uses a variety of psychological approaches, depending on the person’s needs. The basis of his approach is to astutely listen and therefore understand each person’s psychological issues and treatment goals. He then links this to the relevant research on most effective practices and draws from his training in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Schema Focused Therapy, DBT and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR).
- Completed Master Degree in 1984.
- Completed requirements for Australian Psychological Society Clinical college membership in 1986.
- Completed PhD in 2006
Previous positions include:
- Senior Clinical Psychologist at Sir Charles Gardner Hospital.
- Senior Clinical Psychologist at Darwin Community Health Services.
- Director of Alcohol Dependence Units at Royal Darwin Hospital.
- Commenced private practise in 1992.
- Programme Chair in clinical psychology at Murdoch University